On an annual basis, FEDIAF reviews member association data on market and population trends. The figures are a striking proof of the importance Europeans attach to their companion animals. Here are some highlights from our Facts and Figures 2017 report:
- An estimated 80 million European households own at least one pet animal
- At least 21% own one dog and at least 24% own one cat
- Europe has 132 pet food producing companies and 200 production plants
- Throughout Europe, an estimated 1.000.000 direct and indirect jobs are generated by pet ownership such as veterinarians or breeders or connected supply industries.
- Pet food products show annual sales volume of 8.5million tons and turnover is 20.5 billion euros.
- Pet related products and services are valued at 7 billion Euros (accessories), 9 billion (services) totalling 16 billion.
- The pet food industry and related supply and services represent a combined annual turnover of over € 36.5 billion.
- The pet food industry is growing at a rate of 2%.
Please click here for the FEDIAF Facts & Figures 2017.