The regulation of pet food
A warranty for hygiene, safety and quality
Just as human food, pet food is a highly regulated product to achieve the highest standards of hygiene, safety and quality.
Since 1970, the European legislator has adopted a succession of directives and regulations having a direct impact on all the production stages and the marketing of pet food.
FEDIAF welcomes a detailed regulatory framework taking into account the specificity of the industry and its products. FEDIAF co-operates closely with the EU authorities to achieve the objective of offering healthy, balanced and quality products to its customers for the benefit of their pets.
This legislation, literally numbering in hundreds, is under regular review to adapt to scientific and technological developments. Areas covered include:
- Officially laid down requirements to operate pet food plants.
- Consumer information by specific regulations on the labelling of pet food and also those on general advertising rules.
- Raw materials of animal and vegetable origin.
- The use of additives according to their utility, efficacy and innocuity.
- Health and sanitary measures and the specific health certificates for trade and processing of meat products.
- Sampling and methods of analysis for the control of raw materials and finished products.
- Specific sanitary and safety controls, as well as controls of labelling declarations.
- The use of dietetic pet food for use for animals whose metabolism is temporarily or irreversibly impaired.